Monday, June 13, 2011

On Poetry, Persistence, and Potholes


We all have dreams. I’m not talking about the strange movies that play in our minds while we sleep. I’ll save that for another day or two or three (you wouldn’t believe the dreams I have). No, I’m talking about the desires we carry deep in our hearts. I’m talking about that which drives us, that which keeps us going when all we want to do is lie down and go to sleep because at least anything is possible in our nighttime visions.

Some people dream of becoming rich and famous via film or music or sports. Some dream about getting a degree from an ivy league school and becoming CEO of some mega corporation. Others dream of owning their own business, buying a home, and having a family. It doesn’t matter what your dreams are, whether big or small, lofty or easily attainable. All that matters is that you have them and you work to make them come true.

Of course, dreaming is easy. Making those dreams come true is not. And often times, the road to your dream is full of potholes just waiting to eat your tire. And there is no AAA on the road to your dreams. You have to change that flat tire yourself…in the pouring rain…or blistering heat. And sometimes it would be easier to just sit in your car. But then you’re not going anywhere, you’re stuck.

Well, I have a few dreams of my own. One has always been to have my poetry published. I have been writing poetry since I was in the sixth grade. Now, I wouldn’t want anyone to read what I wrote back then. But I believe I’m come a long way from my roses are red, violets are blue phase.

So, I finally decided to submit some poetry.

What they said -“Thank you for your participation….”

What I heard – “It’s not you, it’s me…”

Rejection! Pothole! Flat Tire! Pouring Rain!

I knew I might be rejected. That’s part of life, that’s part of trying. But no matter how they nicely they say it, no matter how I prepare myself for it, it still hurts. When someone tells you that you aren’t what they are looking for, whether it be a date or a company or a talent scout or a school or a literary magazine, it feels like you were driving a rusty old Pinto on your dream road and it broke down, and that guy or girl you've been obsessing about just passed by in a Ferrari Enzo on their way to meet your arch enemy for a lobster dinner. It blows like the tires on your Pinto!

But I know I can’t stop dreaming. I can’t sit in my broken Pinto crying and complaining about how life isn’t fair. I can’t start thinking that maybe I’m not good enough, that my writing is horrible and no one will ever want to publish it. I can’t allow myself to get stuck. 

Everyone gets rejected. Everyone experiences loss. It’s how you deal with it that matters. It’s learning from it and moving on. It’s persistence and perseverance. There is a long list of celebrities and artists who toiled in obscurity before getting their big break. In his book, “On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft”, Stephen King describes how he amassed a large collection of rejection slips, but he kept writing and look where he is now. And think about all the modern conveniences we enjoy because people didn’t give up trying. Can you imagine what the world would be like if the Wright Brothers gave up after their first attempt at flying? And hey, the Dallas Mavericks just won the NBA championship. What if they gave up after losing to Miami the first time?

What I’m saying is that I will not give up, ever, no matter how many Dear Jane letters I receive. I’ll keep writing and maybe someday you’ll all be reading my book of poetry, number one on the best seller list. 


No comments:

Post a Comment