Friday, March 22, 2013

The other day, someone asked if I had posted any poetry on my blog. I responded that I hadn't. It made sense they asked such a question. I had said that I have been writing poetry since I was 11 years old. Granted, my earlier poetry wasn't anything to write home about. Even now, I feel that I have a long way to go before I can ever rightfully call myself a 'poet'. Perhaps that is why I have not shared that part of me with you. I will also admit that I have been afraid to put my poetry out there on the world wide interweb. It's very personal, and what if someone tries to pawn it off as their own? But does it matter in the end? I haven't won any awards or received any recognition, so maybe it wouldn't be worth stealing. If it was however, I guess all that matters is that I give some small gift to the world, to kindred souls. Maybe I can touch one or two of you out there.

So, here it is. I wrote this poem for my son and I share it with all of you.


Knight

I look upon him as he sleeps-
little body curled up tight,
safe within the fortress of blankets
built to shelter him from the cold.
The nightlight stands guard-
a torch to keep away the darkness
and the nightmares.
I know in the morning
I will find the fortress destroyed-
its walls kicked down,
heaped on the floor next to
fallen toy soldiers.
A tiny foot will be dangling
over the edge of a tower,
one blanket desperately clinging
to him for dear life.
Like that one blanket,
I want to hold on;
I want to keep him safe from the cold-
the kind that freezes bodies,
and the kind that freezes souls.
I want to be his shield, protect him
from those who would aim
their arrows of hate and pain
at his tender heart.
I want to be his torch-
keep away the monsters of the dark,
the living nightmares.
I want to be the safe haven
he runs to when life frightens him.
I want him to stay warm and safe
in his fortress of blankets,
while I keep guard.
But I know he can’t stay forever.
He will feel confined, will want freedom.
And he will kick off my blankets of protection.
He may get cold and he may get hurt,
but he will become strong,
learn to protect himself and
fight his own battles.
And someday, he will build a fortress
for his own.



No comments:

Post a Comment