Monday, June 29, 2015

I just recently watched the movie Selma, and it got my brain on wheels rolling. In fact, it got my heart beating and my blood pumping and my tears falling. I know I've written about hate and racism before, and you're probably wondering when I'll get some new material. But it's just a subject that is always in front of me. And it seems more so lately.

The tragedy in Charleston happened just days before I watched the movie. A young white man walked into a church and shot and killed innocent people. It was reported he targeted the church because it was "a historic African-American church." Upon investigation, the police found website registered to the man which contained a racist manifesto and images of him with the Confederate flag.

I connected the events of the present to the events of the past and this intensified my feelings and focused my thinking. I wondered why we are still dealing with such violent racism. Why are people still being judged, shamed, abused, and killed because of the color of their skin? Why do people hate others they don't even know simply because they are different? 

There is a scene in the movie Selma where a group of black people are peacefully marching across a bridge in protest. They are met by troopers who hit them with tear gas and beat them with billy clubs. I felt so angry as I watched, knowing this happened in real life. People gave their lives to the Civil Rights Movement, and they shouldn't have had to. And it wasn't just black people. It shouldn't have been this way. It shouldn't have taken televised beatings. It shouldn't have taken deaths. It shouldn't have taken protest after protest and march after march. This all this took place in the 20th century, too. In the century of flight and automobiles and television. All the technological advancements and yet we were still cultural cavemen. 

The sad thing is we haven't come as far as we like to think. We haven't come as far as we should have. People of color are still dealing with racism and hate and violence. People of color are still dying at the hands of racists.

I also watched American Sniper. And I thought about the hate that some Middle Eastern countries have for America. And some Americans return that hate. The movie was full of violence. Of course, it's about war. I knew what I was getting into. Nonetheless, it saddened me to watch soldiers and civilians being killed. There were two scenes which especially got to me. One involves a women who gives a boy (her son, I presume) a weapon to use on American soldiers. The main character of the movie has to decide whether or not to shoot this boy. It must have been unimaginably difficult for him to make the decision, but he does shoot the boy in order to protect the troops in the line of fire. The woman then picks up the weapon and runs towards the troops. Again, the soldier has to shoot. It is obviously difficult for him. There is another scene in which a man watches his son tortured and killed and then he too is killed, simply because he cooperated with the American soldiers.

Why do they hate us? Because we are infidels? Because we don't believe in the same God? Because we don't live as they believe everyone should? Because we are different? Because we stepped foot on their land? Why does that make them hate us so much they are willing to kill and torture, even sacrifice themselves or their children or their fellow countrymen who interact with us?

Add all this to the news of countless acts of terrorism around the world, and it feels as though humanity is becoming consumed by hate. And it all stems from our differences. People hate based on race, color, nationality, creed,  or religion. And sometimes it seems people will find any reason to hate others.

We misunderstand each other. We misjudge. We mistrust. We dismiss each other's cultures and beliefs. We pronounce each other's faiths as misguided. And it causes pain and anger and resentment. And it leads to hate. And then to violence. Homes and places of worship are bombed or burned. People are kidnapped, tortured, and murdered. Wars are waged. Innocents die. And it escalates. All because of differences in who we are or what we believe. 

WHY?

Why is there so much hate in this world? Why can't we learn to embrace our differences? Why can't we accept fellow human beings for what they are? We are all human after all. We all think and feel and love and hurt and laugh and cry. Why can't we learn to understand each other? 

I can only guess that this comes from some ancient, primeval instinct to protect and propagate our own kind. Something inside us fears what we don't know or understand or can relate to. Something inside us warns us against who or what we perceive as outside our own personal realm. While I understand how this may have served us in our fight for survival, I would like to think that we could evolve beyond discrimination.

I know I must sound negative and pessimistic. But don't get me wrong. I have also seen the opposite of hate in recent days. I have seen love and hope. Some of the family members of the Charleston tragedy said they forgive the shooter. People all over the country came together to honor the memories of those victims. The Supreme Court ruled same sex marriage legal in all states. That was a landmark decision.

I see hope in my son, who is mixed race. When he plays with his friends, who are from different backgrounds, without thinking about the color of their skin or what church they attend. I see hope in a generation of children like him. 

I guess when it comes to the human race, it will always be two steps forward, one step back. We seem to be quick to judge and slow to open our hearts and minds. I hope it won't always be this way. I hope that one day we will live in peace together no matter the color of our skin, the God we worship, the nation we live in, the language we speak, or the people we love. I hope that those who have been beaten down will be picked up. And I hope we will all know the glory of love and acceptance and freedom.





No comments:

Post a Comment