Tuesday, August 15, 2017

When There is No One Left

For months I've been contemplating the political and emotional state of this country. It seems that as a nation, we are more divided than we've been in a very long time. Though it is disheartening, it is not surprising. Throughout history, civilizations have come and gone, risen and fallen. Civil wars, uprisings, revolutions, they're nothing new. 

What really hurts me is that after having come so far and overcome so much, we are now falling backwards. 

We are all different. We have different lives. We have different ideas. And it's coming together to share our thoughts, feelings and experiences that enlightens us all.

But we can't seem to do that anymore. We can't share and learn from each other. We can't empathize or sympathize. We refuse to take a step, let alone walk a mile in someone else's shoes.

People can't even disagree anymore. People can't even have civilized debates. People argue and fight. People attack their opponent instead of the issue. People hate anyone who thinks or feels differently than they do. 

I know the reality is that this is nothing new. Humans have been, and will always be a violent species. Maybe there are just more cameras to record these incidents. But it seems to me, that people aren't expressing their grief, anger, resentment, and dissidence through the right channels. People are picking up guns and knives. People are creating bombs. People are running people over. 

You don't agree with me? I'll beat you.

You don't look like me? I'll stab you.

You don't pray like me? I'll run you over.

You don't love like me? I'll shoot you.

Why? Why is there so much hate in this country, in this world? We fought so long for equality and civil rights and the protection of each individual's freedom. And yet, we behave like wild animals. And considering some of the things people do to each other, that's an insult to wild animals.

And you can't get away from it. Even social media is filled with vitriol. People say such awful, demeaning, and insulting things to others. I know, people have always said awful, demeaning, and insulting things to each other. But I can't believe how low people stoop. Maybe social media offers anonymity. And maybe bullies are most bold when they're not standing face-to-face with their victim.

I feel like I've touched on the subjects of prejudice and racism and hate more than I should have. But we continue to spiral downwards. We continue to hurt each other. So, I can't stop talking about it. I can't ignore it. 

After the events that took place over the weekend, I'm even more heartbroken about what is happening to this country. There should be no place for hate or racism in this country, or in this world. An innocent person should not be murdered because they choose to stand against hate and racism. 

We can continue to tear each other down. We can continue to hurt and kill each other. We can go to war with each other. We can set fire to our higher selves, watch our humanity reduced to ashes. And then maybe there will be peace. When there is no one left to hate. When there is no one left to fight with. When there is not one human being left on this earth. 

1 comment:

  1. Yeah. Chaos reigns, dear,
    in these EndTimes... but!
    PUH-RAY-ZUH GAWWD!!!!!!!!
    You 'n I have a seedOfaith.
    Meet me Upstairs, dollface,
    to RITE zillionzNzillionz
    of overdude novels. We got
    eternity, miss gorgeous...
    Love you.
    Cya soon at the Wedding Feast.
    be@peace.

    ReplyDelete