Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Fear the Nocturnal Animals

I recently watched the movie, Nocturnal Animals. I followed that up with the season finale of The Walking Dead. I don't know why, but I have a fascination with all things dark and morbid. 

While I would recommend watching both, I wouldn't recommend watching both back to back as I did. Maybe throw a Will Ferrell movie in between, you know, cleanse the mental/emotional palate. Unless, of course, you're a glutton for punishment like me.

Anyway, watching these got my brain on wheels rolling down a dark highway. Much like the characters in Nocturnal Animals. I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it, but I'm warning you, I will have to give a few details.

So, this family in Nocturnal Animals is traveling down a deserted highway at night. (Why?!?!??! At night, in the middle of nowhere?!?!) When they finally come upon another car, it's occupied by a group of shady characters. These men harass the family and eventually force them off the road and subsequently kidnap the wife and daughter.

As you can imagine, nothing good follows. 

Watching this not only got my brain rolling, but it also got my blood boiling. I kept questioning why the father let things happen. Why did he let those guys run him off the road? Why didn't he fight? Why didn't he try harder to stop those men from taking his wife and daughter? Why weren't his wife and daughter armed with knives or pepper spray or something? I was seriously pissed off. I kept thinking about what I would have done differently in that situation. I kept thinking about what I would have done to those guys. I kept thinking about how I would have fought tooth and nail.

Now, I train in martial arts, so part of me is always on high alert and always thinking about what I would need to do to protect myself and my family. I think everyone should train in martial arts. But that's another conversation.

So, after that brutal film, I watched the season finale of the Walking Dead. Again, bad guys doing bad things to people. Again, I was pissed off. Again, I was thinking about what I would do. What I would need to do. In the show, people acted to save others. They fought. They made difficult decisions. And one even sacrificed herself.

Let's step into the real world now. Think about when you see/hear/read tragic news stories. Often times, people react to these stories by questioning the actions or inaction of those involved, including the victims. People will say things like "what were they thinking," or "why were they doing this or that," or "why were they in that place," or "why didn't they just..." or "I would have..." 

It's easy to watch shows and movies and think you know what should or could be done in a given situation. It's easy to watch or read the news and make assumptions. It's easy to question the actions of others. It's easy when you're on the outside looking in. And hindsight is 20/20. But, unless you are in that situation, how do you really know? 

I asked myself that. How do I really know? Because you can't unless and until you're in that situation. Of course, you can train and prepare. But can you really train and prepare for every possible situation? And, does training and preparing guarantee you'll be ready when the time comes? 

I asked myself if I would truly be able to fight. If I would be able to smother the rising fear and panic. If I would be able to act swiftly and efficiently. If I would have the mental/emotional/physical strength to act. I like to think I would. 

I also asked myself if I would have the courage to risk my own life. If I would be brave enough to sacrifice myself for the safety of my family. Would I be able to disregard my instinct for self-preservation?
Or would I be weak? Would fear take hold of me and render me useless? Would I make mistakes that would have tragic consequences? Would I fail to keep my family safe? Again, I like to think I would.

I also thought about some of the stupid/risky/dangerous things I've done in my life. I think about some of the mistakes I've made. How I failed to think about the possible consequences of my actions. How easy it was to put myself in a bad situation. How lucky I was. Because many of us don't often think about the dangers lurking around every corner. Or the predator lurking around every corner. Or how quickly something bad can happen. 

I would like to think I'll know just what to do if the time comes. But I really won't know until that time comes. Until I am tested. Until my feet are held to the fire. Until a knife or gun is pointed at me. Until someone tries to run me off the road and take my family. I can think about it. I can talk about it. I can even train for it. But it's what I actually do in that moment that counts.

So maybe I shouldn't be so quick to think I would act differently, or do better than someone else in a given situation. We all experience fear and momentary weakness. We all make mistakes. 

And we are all trying to do the best that we can. We are all just trying to survive in this crazy world. 

Something to think about.


Also, think about training. Give yourself a fighting chance.




No comments:

Post a Comment