Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Irresistible Immortals


I was so excited to finally be able to watch True Blood season 3 via the little red envelope. I know, I know- I’m just a little behind. Unfortunately, HBO is not included in my current austerity program. Anyhow, as I was watching the trials and tribulations of Ms. Sookie Stackhouse, I began to wonder what it is about vampire movies and shows that appeals to such a large audience. Well, my restless brain began to process this question and here is what I concluded:

Shall we begin with the obvious? In many modern movies and television shows, vampires are beautiful! I mean, if I was Sookie Stackhouse, I would have a difficult time choosing between Bill and Eric. And who could forget Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, and Antonio Banderas in “Interview With A Vampire”? But it isn’t just the males that are drop dead gorgeous (pun intended). Think about Kate Beckinsale rocking the tight leather in “Underworld”. How about the scene in Dracula when Keanu Reeves’ character was fed on by Dracula’s very sexy vampire brides? Don’t forget Salma Hayek’s tantalizing dance in “From Dusk Till Dawn”.  I could go on but you get it.

Beyond the physical attraction, many of the vampire characters are charming and intellectual. Of course, they’re trying to charm you and outwit you in order to drink your blood, but nonetheless, it’s a welcome change from the usual. Generally, the vampires are centuries old and come from a time when chivalry and the poetic use of language were still very much alive. Their impossible age also makes them “mature”, having already experienced and learned more than any mortal could imagine. Charming, intelligent, deep, no desire to play all the silly games humans play. Sounds like a fantasy, doesn’t it?!?

Now, I can sense some guys are rolling their eyes. But hold on just a second there gentlemen. You like sexy, smart, charming women, don’t you? And these female vampires are usually strong, independent, and not prone to the emotional up and downs that human women are subject to, and on top of that, they are sexual in nature. Wow! And for the women in the audience, think about how the male vampires (the good ones anyway) are strong but sensitive, handsome but not self absorbed, sexual but romantic. They are dark, brooding, and conflicted like some of the rock stars women swoon over. Minus the drug and alcohol problems. It’s the bad boy we all want but the bad boy who loves like an epic poem, and who isn’t afraid of forever. Plus, they don’t go around burping or farting or ogling other women-unless of course, they’re hungry. In short, the vampires are often portrayed as the ideal lover.

Last but not least, vampires are immortal. They don’t age and they don’t die-not easily anyway. As humans, we are on a never-ending quest for immortality. We don’t want to grow old and fall apart. I don’t know about you, but I can’t stand the thought of having to wear diapers again. And death, well, who really wants to die? We fear the unknown and what really happens after death is unknown to us. But a vampire, they can be young forever. Not only can they be young forever, they can be young and invincible forever. They have superhuman strength and speed. They can fly. They can smell your blood from a mile away. They can sometimes read your thoughts, or hypnotize you. They don’t have to deal with acne, heartburn, arthritis, or any mortal diseases. And they can offer us the same if we so desire.

Now, there are hundreds of vampire films-I haven’t seen them all-and the characters in these films don’t always fit these descriptions. Some vampires onscreen are downright hideous and some are so evil, they give the devil a run for his money. Not all vampires can be Edward Cullen or Stefan Salvatore or Selene. But you catch my drift.

Maybe you rent a couple of vampire flicks and tell me what you think. Here are a few of my faves, in no particular order:

  1. Bram Stoker’s Dracula. Don’t mind Keanu   Reeves' less than stellar performance.
  2. Lost Boys. The 80’s looked good on vampires!
  3. Interview With A Vampire. I read the whole series by Anne Rice, it's excellent!
  4. Underworld. Kate Beckinsale is hot! 
  5. True Blood. (I know, TV show but I’m addicted and you might be too!)
  6. Let The Right One In. Ok, no eye candy but certainly creepy and a great vampire film.


No comments:

Post a Comment